Welcome...

There are so many variables that go into making a PIZZA. The hydration of the dough, flour, yeast and many more.. Amounts of any kind of yeast in a pizza can make a big difference. Most recipes posted on the web, use too much yeast in their recipes. What I have found out so far, is either bulk fermenting the dough or cold fermenting the dough will give a better flavor in the crust. I am still experimenting to find different flavors in the crust of pies. In my opinion pizza is all about the best flavor you can achieve in a crust. I still am on the journey about flavors in the crust. Even differences in temperatures in you home or times of the year can influence how much yeast to use. If you want a pizza to develop flavors in the crust, there are many ways to go about achieving this.

Pizzas

Pizzas
Preferment for Lehmann Dough Pizzas

Crust of Pizza

Crust of Pizza
Rim of Preferment Lehmann Formula

Adventure in Pizza Making

There are many ways to go about trying to make any kind of pizzas you want to create. PIZZA making is fun and also you get to eat your finished product. I learned to make all my pizza on http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php If you look on pizzamaking.com you can see all the beautiful creations of pizzas members make on this site. Members and moderators help members and guests achieve almost any kind of pizzas they want to create. Since joining this site, my pizza making skills have gone from non-existent to something much better. I invite you to take a look at this site.

Total Pageviews

Sicilian Pizza

Sicilian Pizza
Sicilian Pizza with Preferment for Lehmann Dough

At my mom's home getting ready to bake in her gas oven

At my mom's home getting ready to bake in her gas oven
click on picture to go to post

Sunday, December 19, 2010

July 8, 2010..Just another BBQ grill PIZZA-one more pizza attempt

I decided to take a small dough ball out of the freezer, to try again in the BBQ set-up.  I also  wanted to try the new formula with “00" flour, KASL, cake yeast and real sea salt. I made a dough ball with the new formula to see if I could measure out a small amount of cake yeast. I let the one dough ball defrost at room temperature.  I mixed the new formula by hand and did the best I could cutting the cake yeast with a X-acto knife.  I also wanted to try out my proofing box to proof the new formula.  I wanted to try and let the dough proof until it doubled in size or at least 3 hrs. at 120 degrees F to see how the crust would bake and also to see what the crust would taste like using the “00" flour, KASL, natural sea salt, and cake yeast.  I am probably going to experiment with this new formula letting it either proof longer or giving it a room temperature ferment to see how long it takes to double in size.  Those experiments will be in the future.

Both pies were dressed with my regular tomato sauce, pepperoni, Foremost Brand of blended cheeses.  The only difference was the one pie was topped with opal basil, arugula and the other was topped just topped with sauce, cheese and pepperoni.

I also wanted to test out something I had wondered for awhile.  That was in baking in the BBQ grill set-up with firebricks could get a airy crust, with a lower baking temperature.  It has made me curious for awhile whether it is the dough formula or the higher bake temperatures.  I only baked the first pie at 545 degrees F.  The second pie was baked at 645 degrees F.

For the first pie with the preferment for the Lehmann dough I was “over the moon”.  The second pie was great, too, but in a different way.  The taste of the crust was different and although it looks more bready, was soft and tasty.

Thanks Jackie Tran and Peter for telling me to use a pan, so my bottom doesn’t get dark.  It worked wonderful.

Peter (Pete-zza) helped me with this formula.


Norma,

I used the expanded dough calculating tool at http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded_calculator.html with the baker's percents from the dough formulation at Reply 72 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11133.msg102626.html#msg102626 in order to come up with a modified dough formulation for your purposes. In arriving at a recommended amount of cake yeast you might use for your experiment, I relied on what I did in the opening post at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7225.msg62332.html#msg62332 and made adjustments to compensate for the desired 10-hour fermentation period (and hopefully a doubling of the dough by that time), the considerably higher hydration in your case (which means a faster fermentation), and the fact that you would be using cake yeast instead of the IDY I used. Most of the changes were gut changes and based on a combination of experience and intuition. The simplest part was tripling the amount of IDY I calculated for your purposes by a factor of three. In the modified dough formulation presented below, I assumed a flour blend of 60% 00 flour and 40% KASL. I did not use a bowl residue compensation, but there is no reason why you can't use such a compensation should you wish to do so.

Flour Blend* (100%):
Water (63%):
CY (0.062%):
Salt (1.5%):
Total (164.562%):
86.6 g  |  3.05 oz | 0.19 lbs
54.55 g  |  1.92 oz | 0.12 lbs
0.05 g | 0 oz | 0 lbs |
1.3 g | 0.05 oz | 0 lbs | 0.23 tsp | 0.08 tbsp
142.5 g | 5.03 oz | 0.31 lbs | TF = 0.1
*The Flour Blend comprises 60% 00 flour (51.96 grams/1.83 ounces) and 40% KASL (34.64 grams/1.22 ounces) KASL
Note: Dough is for a single 8" pizza; thickness factor = 0.10; no bowl residue compensation

As you can see, the amount of cake yeast recited in the above table is 5/100th of a gram. If you take your 17-gram (0.6-ounce) cube of cake yeast and divide it into 340 "little cubes", you want to use one of those "little cubes". I don't have any particularly good advice at this point as to how to do such a division, especially since I don't have access to cake yeast at any of the supermarkets near me to be able to visually scope out the problem better.

If you able to proceed, I suggest that you use water at a temperature of around 45 degrees F. You can rehydrate the cake yeast in a small amount of water at around 80-90 degrees F (the water at 45 degrees F is likely to shock the yeast), or you can simply crumble the cake yeast into the flour blend and stir it in the flour blend to more uniformly disperse it. You should note the finished dough temperature, the room temperature, and how long it takes the dough to double. Since I don't work with cake yeast and because of all the variables involved, I can't tell you exactly what to expect.

Peter





























No comments:

Post a Comment