Welcome...

There are so many variables that go into making a PIZZA. The hydration of the dough, flour, yeast and many more.. Amounts of any kind of yeast in a pizza can make a big difference. Most recipes posted on the web, use too much yeast in their recipes. What I have found out so far, is either bulk fermenting the dough or cold fermenting the dough will give a better flavor in the crust. I am still experimenting to find different flavors in the crust of pies. In my opinion pizza is all about the best flavor you can achieve in a crust. I still am on the journey about flavors in the crust. Even differences in temperatures in you home or times of the year can influence how much yeast to use. If you want a pizza to develop flavors in the crust, there are many ways to go about achieving this.

Pizzas

Pizzas
Preferment for Lehmann Dough Pizzas

Crust of Pizza

Crust of Pizza
Rim of Preferment Lehmann Formula

Adventure in Pizza Making

There are many ways to go about trying to make any kind of pizzas you want to create. PIZZA making is fun and also you get to eat your finished product. I learned to make all my pizza on http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php If you look on pizzamaking.com you can see all the beautiful creations of pizzas members make on this site. Members and moderators help members and guests achieve almost any kind of pizzas they want to create. Since joining this site, my pizza making skills have gone from non-existent to something much better. I invite you to take a look at this site.

Total Pageviews

Sicilian Pizza

Sicilian Pizza
Sicilian Pizza with Preferment for Lehmann Dough

At my mom's home getting ready to bake in her gas oven

At my mom's home getting ready to bake in her gas oven
click on picture to go to post

Monday, January 10, 2011

Life continues in a person that is obsessed with PIZZA!

Although I did make a experimental pizza over the weekend, and did make many pizzas at my small farmers market stand last week, I am always thinking about different ways to try to make different PIZZAS.  It seems my mind keeps going over what I could have done differently or about what I want to try next in making pizzas.

I did make my poolishes for my markets pizzas on Friday and had planned on going to market today, to make the final dough.  I had started another milk kefir poolish with added dairy whey to the final mix to see if that would help with crust coloration since my poolish is made on Friday and then the poolish is incorporated into the final dough on Monday. That has been my experiment for awhile with using the milk kefir poolish to see if I can ever make naturally leavened dough at market.  I don't know if I ever will be successful with using milk kefir to leaven enough dough to make many pizzas on Tuesday

When I make my regular poolish for market, I just add equal amounts of flour and water and IDY and let the poolish bubble a little, before placing it into the deli case to ferment more until Monday.  I then mix it into my final dough on Monday and let the dough cold ferment for one day, before using it on Tuesday at market to make pizzas.  This is called my Preferment Lehmann dough for market.

I had an unexpected problem at home on Saturday evening.  My hot water heater went out and then I had to heat all my water for bathing and dishes.  In my opinion you don't really appeciate what you have, until you don't have it.  It wasn't too bad heating all the water, but I wanted to get the water heater fixed as soon as the weekend was over.  I had tried flipping the circuit breakers and pushing the reset button on the water heater, so I guess it is beyond me.  I called my plumber this morning to see when my water heater could be fixed.  My water heater is still under warranty, but that doesn't include if an element goes bad.  In our area we have well water and the water is very hard, so it makes a water heater develop calcium depoists on the element.  My plumber couldn't come out today, so the plan is for him to come out tomorrow.  Plumbers in our area are so busy, that I don't have a definite time when he is coming.

That leads me to my next problem.  What to do about market tomorrow.  Since it is supposed to snow in our area Tuesday afternoon into Wednesday, the plumber said he might not be able to make it to where I live until Thursday, if he doesn't come out tomorrow.  So I made the appointment for him to come and fix the water heater on Tuesday, my market day. :(  I went to market today, and did all the other things I needed to do, but didn't make more dough with the poolish.  I now seem to have feelings that I will really miss making the pizzas tomorrow.  I guess that is the way it is, in the life of a person that loves to make pizza and also likes to eat pizza.  I hate to disappoint any customers that might come to buy my pizzas, but I really don't have any control over my hot water heater not working.  I did put a sign on my small pizza stand saying why I wouldn't be at market tomorrow.  I guess I am just feeling a little sad tonight that I can't make pizza for my customers or do the experiments I wanted to do tomorrow. The smell of the pizza baking, makes me happy for some reason, because it smells so good and I really like to make pizzas. I had planned on making the milk kefir pizza with the dairy whey to see how that would affect crust coloration and had planned on making a dough that member Larry had posted on pizzamaking.com for a Caputo pizza that could be baked in a lower temperature oven.  I also really wanted to try that experiment.

Now tomorrow, I will be sitting at home waiting for my plumber to come, instead of making pizza.

This is a picture of another notebook I have of my experiments and also the dough I was going to try out at market tomorrow.  I might bake this dough at home or either freeze the dough.  I still haven't decided what to do with it, as of tonight.

My pizza making adventures will continue though, and hopefully next week things go better.

Norma

No comments:

Post a Comment