Welcome...

There are so many variables that go into making a PIZZA. The hydration of the dough, flour, yeast and many more.. Amounts of any kind of yeast in a pizza can make a big difference. Most recipes posted on the web, use too much yeast in their recipes. What I have found out so far, is either bulk fermenting the dough or cold fermenting the dough will give a better flavor in the crust. I am still experimenting to find different flavors in the crust of pies. In my opinion pizza is all about the best flavor you can achieve in a crust. I still am on the journey about flavors in the crust. Even differences in temperatures in you home or times of the year can influence how much yeast to use. If you want a pizza to develop flavors in the crust, there are many ways to go about achieving this.

Pizzas

Pizzas
Preferment for Lehmann Dough Pizzas

Crust of Pizza

Crust of Pizza
Rim of Preferment Lehmann Formula

Adventure in Pizza Making

There are many ways to go about trying to make any kind of pizzas you want to create. PIZZA making is fun and also you get to eat your finished product. I learned to make all my pizza on http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php If you look on pizzamaking.com you can see all the beautiful creations of pizzas members make on this site. Members and moderators help members and guests achieve almost any kind of pizzas they want to create. Since joining this site, my pizza making skills have gone from non-existent to something much better. I invite you to take a look at this site.

Total Pageviews

Sicilian Pizza

Sicilian Pizza
Sicilian Pizza with Preferment for Lehmann Dough

At my mom's home getting ready to bake in her gas oven

At my mom's home getting ready to bake in her gas oven
click on picture to go to post

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Attempt at a Detroit Buddy's clone

After cold fermenting for about 13 hrs., I took the dough ball out of the fridge. The poppy seeds spacing showed the dough ball had not doubled in size. I then left the dough ball sit out at room temperature (which was about 68 degrees F) for 1 ½ hrs. The dough ball still didn’t double in size, so I turned my oven light on and placed the dough ball (in the plastic container) in my oven. In about an hour the dough ball did double in size. I also had made some of November’s sauce at Reply 7 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3735.msg32136.html#msg32136 earlier this morning with 6-in-1 ground tomatoes. I grated 8 oz. of Great Lakes white sharp cheddar and mixed some of the Grande mix in with the cheddar. Mostly all cheddar was used. After the dough ball had doubled I dumped it out of the plastic container and lightly floured it. It stretched very easily to fit the 10”x8” steel pan. The steel pan was oiled. I then put the plastic lid on the steel pan and put it into the oven with the light on. The reasoning of why I did that was maybe to act like a proofing box and get the dough to temper faster then letting it temper at room temperature. The dough in the pan stayed in my oven for 1 ½ hrs. to proof.


I then place 8.57 ounces of the cheese blend and spread it to the edges. Next November’s sauce was applied in dollops.

This Detroit style pizza was baked in my home oven at 475 degrees F for 15 minutes. I think the pizza could have been baked a little longer, but it was still good. I have to learn how this style of pizza bakes in my home oven. I placed the pan on the bottom rack and didn’t move it at all. I am not sure if I should let it on the bottom rack the next time for the whole bake and am not sure if my oven should be turned up a little higher in temperature.

I did place an order for brick cheese (from the Mandi cheese shop) last week on the web, but received an email because of the bad weather that it wouldn’t be shipped until next week.

I think I am starting to like Detroit style pizzas better than other styles of pizza.

If anyone is interested this is the dough formulation I used.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21559.msg220077.html#msg220077

Norma











No comments:

Post a Comment