Welcome...

There are so many variables that go into making a PIZZA. The hydration of the dough, flour, yeast and many more.. Amounts of any kind of yeast in a pizza can make a big difference. Most recipes posted on the web, use too much yeast in their recipes. What I have found out so far, is either bulk fermenting the dough or cold fermenting the dough will give a better flavor in the crust. I am still experimenting to find different flavors in the crust of pies. In my opinion pizza is all about the best flavor you can achieve in a crust. I still am on the journey about flavors in the crust. Even differences in temperatures in you home or times of the year can influence how much yeast to use. If you want a pizza to develop flavors in the crust, there are many ways to go about achieving this.

Pizzas

Pizzas
Preferment for Lehmann Dough Pizzas

Crust of Pizza

Crust of Pizza
Rim of Preferment Lehmann Formula

Adventure in Pizza Making

There are many ways to go about trying to make any kind of pizzas you want to create. PIZZA making is fun and also you get to eat your finished product. I learned to make all my pizza on http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php If you look on pizzamaking.com you can see all the beautiful creations of pizzas members make on this site. Members and moderators help members and guests achieve almost any kind of pizzas they want to create. Since joining this site, my pizza making skills have gone from non-existent to something much better. I invite you to take a look at this site.

Total Pageviews

Sicilian Pizza

Sicilian Pizza
Sicilian Pizza with Preferment for Lehmann Dough

At my mom's home getting ready to bake in her gas oven

At my mom's home getting ready to bake in her gas oven
click on picture to go to post

Monday, January 31, 2011

Dairy Whey added to preferment Lehmann dough for better browning of the crust January 25, 2011

The preferment Lehmann dough ball with the added dairy whey was baked today into a pizza. The pizza did brown better with the dairy whey added.  The crumb was even moister with dairy whey added.  This dough ball did open easily.

This pizza did have much better browning than my other preferment Lehmann doughs without the added dairy whey.  The taste of the crumb was even better.

Peter posted this post on what dairy whey does in dough.

Norma,

We have been paying the most attention recently to the browning issue because that was the issue that was yelling at us the loudest. However, in addition to helping with crust coloration, dairy whey also affects the texture/structure and flavor of the baked goods in which it is used, and apparently has attributes like hygroscopicity (it attracts water from its surroundings) that helps retain moisture in the dough (and helps retard staling). I observed many of these other effects when I did my dairy whey experiments some time ago but I wasn't sure how pronounced they would be in a dough such as yours using a poolish preferment. However, I found a good, comprehensive discussion of the effects of dairy whey in baked goods in an article at

http://www.usdec.org/files/Publications/1BAKERY.pdf


If you read that article, even casually without trying to understand all of the science, I think you will have a much better idea as to the role that dairy whey plays in baked goods.

Peter

Norma














No comments:

Post a Comment