Welcome...

There are so many variables that go into making a PIZZA. The hydration of the dough, flour, yeast and many more.. Amounts of any kind of yeast in a pizza can make a big difference. Most recipes posted on the web, use too much yeast in their recipes. What I have found out so far, is either bulk fermenting the dough or cold fermenting the dough will give a better flavor in the crust. I am still experimenting to find different flavors in the crust of pies. In my opinion pizza is all about the best flavor you can achieve in a crust. I still am on the journey about flavors in the crust. Even differences in temperatures in you home or times of the year can influence how much yeast to use. If you want a pizza to develop flavors in the crust, there are many ways to go about achieving this.

Pizzas

Pizzas
Preferment for Lehmann Dough Pizzas

Crust of Pizza

Crust of Pizza
Rim of Preferment Lehmann Formula

Adventure in Pizza Making

There are many ways to go about trying to make any kind of pizzas you want to create. PIZZA making is fun and also you get to eat your finished product. I learned to make all my pizza on http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php If you look on pizzamaking.com you can see all the beautiful creations of pizzas members make on this site. Members and moderators help members and guests achieve almost any kind of pizzas they want to create. Since joining this site, my pizza making skills have gone from non-existent to something much better. I invite you to take a look at this site.

Total Pageviews

Sicilian Pizza

Sicilian Pizza
Sicilian Pizza with Preferment for Lehmann Dough

At my mom's home getting ready to bake in her gas oven

At my mom's home getting ready to bake in her gas oven
click on picture to go to post

Thursday, July 28, 2011

March 2, 2010 New York Water Versus Regular Bottle Water-Does it Really Make a Difference?

I also made two batches of  Lehmann dough in 2010, to test the bottled water I usually get. and the water from Queens, NY.  Both 15 lb. finished dough batches had the same temperatures.  I tasted each raw dough about 5 times to see if I could taste a difference in the dough.  In my opinion the Queens, NY dough tasted a lot saltier.  I wanted to see if I could taste any difference in the finished pizza.  I also will get some of my pizza testers to taste the pizza.  Both doughs looked the same.
These are pictures of the Hatco Unit under the pizza oven on a shelf, my water, Queens, NY water, dough from NY water, and pictures of the kinds of cheese I use on my pizzas. I tried the dough experiment with the Queens, NY water and the regular water.  I first aggressively docked the 5 oz. dough balls and baked only the crust.  I had 13 taste testers.  I gave each one a piece of each baked dough and only told them it was my regular dough, but something was different with each one.  I asked them to give me their opinions on which dough they thought was best, or if they thought they tasted the same.  Out of the 13 taste testers only one picked the dough that I made from my regular water.  The other 12 all said the dough tasted better and had more flavor from the water I used from Queens, NY.  One of my taste testers was from Long Island and said he has never tasted any good pizza from around here and he believed that the water from NY had everything to do with the taste of the dough.

Now the interesting part.  I made pizzas with only sauce and cheese.  I had the same taste testers taste each pizza.  With the added sauce and cheese they couldn’t tell the difference in the pizzas.  Even my daughter and I couldn’t taste any difference in the pizza crust after the sauce and cheese was added.

The first picture is of the finished crusts. A being the Queens, NY, water.  B being the regular water. The next three pictures of the pizzas were from the Queens, NY water.  The last three pictures were from the regular water.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9908.msg91827.html#msg91827
I did one test on NY water, versus my regular bottled water I normally used in my preferment Lehmann doughs.  If you want to see what I found out,  the results are at in those few posts.

I had planned on getting more NY water the last time I was in NY, but the people I wanted to get the water from before we left NY weren’t home, so I didn’t get any NY water that time.  I plan on doing another test on NY water the next time I can get some from NY.  As you will see from my posts, the crust did taste a little different when no sauce and cheese were applied, but after the sauce and cheese were applied, I and some other people couldn’t tell the difference.

At Reply 287 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9908.msg91710.html#msg91710 is where I started the test.

Norma


No comments:

Post a Comment