Welcome...

There are so many variables that go into making a PIZZA. The hydration of the dough, flour, yeast and many more.. Amounts of any kind of yeast in a pizza can make a big difference. Most recipes posted on the web, use too much yeast in their recipes. What I have found out so far, is either bulk fermenting the dough or cold fermenting the dough will give a better flavor in the crust. I am still experimenting to find different flavors in the crust of pies. In my opinion pizza is all about the best flavor you can achieve in a crust. I still am on the journey about flavors in the crust. Even differences in temperatures in you home or times of the year can influence how much yeast to use. If you want a pizza to develop flavors in the crust, there are many ways to go about achieving this.

Pizzas

Pizzas
Preferment for Lehmann Dough Pizzas

Crust of Pizza

Crust of Pizza
Rim of Preferment Lehmann Formula

Adventure in Pizza Making

There are many ways to go about trying to make any kind of pizzas you want to create. PIZZA making is fun and also you get to eat your finished product. I learned to make all my pizza on http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php If you look on pizzamaking.com you can see all the beautiful creations of pizzas members make on this site. Members and moderators help members and guests achieve almost any kind of pizzas they want to create. Since joining this site, my pizza making skills have gone from non-existent to something much better. I invite you to take a look at this site.

Total Pageviews

Sicilian Pizza

Sicilian Pizza
Sicilian Pizza with Preferment for Lehmann Dough

At my mom's home getting ready to bake in her gas oven

At my mom's home getting ready to bake in her gas oven
click on picture to go to post

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Experimental Mystery Pizza, Using Auntie Anne's At-Home Baking Kit 5/31/2011

Another mystery pizza was made at market yesterday by Steve and me.  I had bought a Auntie Anne’s At-Home Baking Kit awhile ago, but didn’t try it out until yesterday.  I did take the dough mix out of the bag and weighed it to see how much it weighed, because I wanted to see if I tried a NY style pizza out of the At-Home Baking kit, how much the total weight would be when the water was added. I also wanted to see since ADY was in this mix, if that would make a different dough or not. The Auntie Anne’s At-Home Baking Kit is for soft pretzels, Deep Dish pizza, pretzel dogs, and monkey bread.  In the directions it said to dissolve contents of the yeast packet (10.5 grams) in 1 ½ cups lukewarm tap water. (105 degrees F) Let sit about 2 minutes.  Water temperature must not exceed 115 degrees F.  Steve and I measured the water temperature when adding the ADY to water, so it wouldn’t be too hot.  We followed the other directions inside the box and when the dough was mixed it seemed way to dry (it had said in the directions that after kneading, the dough would be soft and slightly tacky and that wasn’t the case for us).  We then added more water, until we thought the dough was moist enough or about 63 % hydration.  The dough mixing directions said to place the bowl of dough in a warm spot (85-95 degrees F) for 30 minutes so the dough can rise.  Of course market temperatures were that high yesterday, so there was no need to find a warm spot for the dough to rise.  We waited about 1 ½ hrs. to use the dough.  We divided the dough to use enough dough for a 16 “ pizza.  The dough ball was easy to open.  I did take a picture of the pizza baking in the oven, but it came out blurry.  After first baking the pizza for not long, it wanted to brown on the bottom too fast, so 3 screens were added under the pie.

After eat tasting a slice of pizza, Steve, other stand holders and I decided the crust was way too sweet.  I don’t know if it was the dextrose or molasses, or another ingredient in the mix, that made the dough way too sweet.  The rest of the divided dough I bought home last evening and froze, to try another time for soft pretzels.

I wanted to try this Auntie Anne’s At-Home Baking Kit because I wanted to see if it would taste like real Auntie Anne’s soft pretzels.  So far it didn’t.  I don’t know how a home person making this dough would fair out, because even though Steve and I do know some about making dough, I don’t think the instructions work.  I also planned on trying the Aunti Anne’s At-Home Baking Kit yesterday because it said in the ingredients it contained less than 2% of dextrose and also included sodium aluminum sulfate in the ingredients.  Sodium aluminum sulfate wasn’t in the other GM mixes I tried before.  I was trying less than 2 % of dextrose or sugar in my home pizza crust mix.

I had tried making my own pretzel dough in another thread, and from the experiment Steve and I did yesterday, I like my own results better.  The Auntie Anne’s At-Home Baking Kit was also too expensive bought at the Country Store at 5.99.  I wonder how many people buy that baking kit and are disappointed in the results.

Norma









Norma

No comments:

Post a Comment