Welcome...

There are so many variables that go into making a PIZZA. The hydration of the dough, flour, yeast and many more.. Amounts of any kind of yeast in a pizza can make a big difference. Most recipes posted on the web, use too much yeast in their recipes. What I have found out so far, is either bulk fermenting the dough or cold fermenting the dough will give a better flavor in the crust. I am still experimenting to find different flavors in the crust of pies. In my opinion pizza is all about the best flavor you can achieve in a crust. I still am on the journey about flavors in the crust. Even differences in temperatures in you home or times of the year can influence how much yeast to use. If you want a pizza to develop flavors in the crust, there are many ways to go about achieving this.

Pizzas

Pizzas
Preferment for Lehmann Dough Pizzas

Crust of Pizza

Crust of Pizza
Rim of Preferment Lehmann Formula

Adventure in Pizza Making

There are many ways to go about trying to make any kind of pizzas you want to create. PIZZA making is fun and also you get to eat your finished product. I learned to make all my pizza on http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php If you look on pizzamaking.com you can see all the beautiful creations of pizzas members make on this site. Members and moderators help members and guests achieve almost any kind of pizzas they want to create. Since joining this site, my pizza making skills have gone from non-existent to something much better. I invite you to take a look at this site.

Total Pageviews

Sicilian Pizza

Sicilian Pizza
Sicilian Pizza with Preferment for Lehmann Dough

At my mom's home getting ready to bake in her gas oven

At my mom's home getting ready to bake in her gas oven
click on picture to go to post

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

First Bakes in the Blackstone Pizza Oven (Neapolitan pizzas, with the new GM flour and the Ischia starter)

I had planned to bulk ferment the GM flour Neapolitan dough for 24 hrs., but since I made a mistake in mixing the first batch last light I had to make another batch of dough.  The bulk ferment of the dough was less than 24 hrs.  This is what the dough looked like before it was balled.  The dough was keep at between 60-67 degrees while it was bulk fermenting in the Styrofoam container.  This is the formulation I used. I used the light gray Celtic Sea Salt as the salt in the dough.  

The bulk fermented dough felt soft and it was balled at 250 grams for each dough ball.


My BS oven is together and was lighted for a little while.  My granddaughters one friend from Texas and my granddaughter helped me put the BS together.  I didn't know it for a little while, but my great-granddaugher was picking my upripe tomatoes in the garden.  The collar on the shaft had to be adjusted with a allen wrench because the steel plate on the bottom was dragging.  I don't know if the steel plate is adjusted too high now.    

I really didn't bring the BS up to the highest temperature it can get, but after 2 minutes the bottom stone was 237 degrees F.  At 5 minutes it was at 483 degrees F.  I didn't take any other temperatures and now have turned it off until I can get some sauce and cheese ready for the bakes.

I also injured my arm while putting the BS together.  Some of those pieces are sharp.

I just did take a two photos of how the one dough ball looks.  To me it looks like it is ready to be baked.

This is how my first bakes went on the BS.  It started to sprinkle before I was ready to make the pizzas.  I knew it might rain from the weather forecast, but I went ahead and made 2 pizzas.  I sure am not good at landing the pizzas in the middle of the stone, but the first pizza and second pizza tasted very good.  This was the first time my mother ever tasted one of my Neapolitan pizzas and she really liked how soft the crumb and bottom crusts are.  Until I went to make the second pizza it was really pouring, but I still went ahead.  The pizza wanted to stick to the peel, but I took some more flour outside in the shed and tried to loosen the pizza from the wooden peel.  It did become loose, but the peel was still wet.  

It stopped raining when it was dark so I made the 3rd pizza in the BS tonight.  In my opinion this pizza was the best one out of the three today.  The BS flames looks so cool at night.   I dressed this pizza with the same sauce, fresh mozzarella, fresh tomatoes from my garden, Diana's Aleppo peppers and a pepper oil I made.  I really liked the dressings too.


Norma























































6 comments:

  1. What type of bake time are you getting out of this oven? The pizzas look great. I'm considering getting this thing myself, but only if it's cooking in the 2 minute range!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello tommy:eats,

    I can get under two minute bake times in the Blackstone Pizza unit. If you want to learn more about what the Blackstone pizza oven can do go to the Pizzamaking.com website and look under home ovens, or under other thread. Many members there, including me, have posted what the Blackstone can do.

    Norma

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one thread to look at. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,28721.0.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My thread on the pizzamaking.com forum.

    http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26483.0.html

    ReplyDelete