Welcome...

There are so many variables that go into making a PIZZA. The hydration of the dough, flour, yeast and many more.. Amounts of any kind of yeast in a pizza can make a big difference. Most recipes posted on the web, use too much yeast in their recipes. What I have found out so far, is either bulk fermenting the dough or cold fermenting the dough will give a better flavor in the crust. I am still experimenting to find different flavors in the crust of pies. In my opinion pizza is all about the best flavor you can achieve in a crust. I still am on the journey about flavors in the crust. Even differences in temperatures in you home or times of the year can influence how much yeast to use. If you want a pizza to develop flavors in the crust, there are many ways to go about achieving this.

Pizzas

Pizzas
Preferment for Lehmann Dough Pizzas

Crust of Pizza

Crust of Pizza
Rim of Preferment Lehmann Formula

Adventure in Pizza Making

There are many ways to go about trying to make any kind of pizzas you want to create. PIZZA making is fun and also you get to eat your finished product. I learned to make all my pizza on http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php If you look on pizzamaking.com you can see all the beautiful creations of pizzas members make on this site. Members and moderators help members and guests achieve almost any kind of pizzas they want to create. Since joining this site, my pizza making skills have gone from non-existent to something much better. I invite you to take a look at this site.

Total Pageviews

Sicilian Pizza

Sicilian Pizza
Sicilian Pizza with Preferment for Lehmann Dough

At my mom's home getting ready to bake in her gas oven

At my mom's home getting ready to bake in her gas oven
click on picture to go to post

Monday, December 26, 2011

Cake Yeast and Molasses starter to make Amish bread for Christmas 12/25/2011

I didn’t want to take Craig’s thread about Fresh Yeast at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16775.0.html too far off-topic, so I am starting this thread. Chau mentioned at Reply 19 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16775.msg164473.html#msg164473 that he thought a starter could be made out of cake yeast. I have no doubts about what Chau posted.
I am trying to start a starter with frozen Red Star cake yeast, KASL, water, and molasses. Last evening I mixed 20 grams of KASL, 20 grams of spring water, 2 grams of Red Star cake yeast, and 2 grams of molasses. So far this is how my experiment looks early this morning. I have no idea how if this starter will take off or if it would be potent enough to use as a starter. What I want to see if the cake yeast flavor would contribute anything to the final pizza dough flavor.

It has been posted many times on the forum that cake yeast, IDY, and ADY are interchangeable, but I am more an experimenter, so I have to see for myself. I have posted I thought that Red Star cake yeast when mixed with water does smell like sourdough.

This is the link of the process of making the cake yeast and molasses starter, if anyone is interested.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16884.0.html

The finished 5 loaves of Amish bread for Christmas. Everyone really liked the homemade Amish bread.

Norma






2 comments:

  1. Hi Norma,
    Oh, that looks like great bread - and great fun. I'd love to use fresh/cake yeast more often - but it is so darn hard to find and has such a short life - which explains what it is so hard to find. My only solution is to buy it from a small bakery. Even if they get a bit greedy abou the price, it still is not all that much. Happy Holidays. Love your blog, but posting comments is DARN near impossible. -Craig

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cedarglen(Craig),

    Hi, The Amish bread was fun, even though I really don’t understand that much about bread. I agree that fresh yeast is hard to find. Glad you can purchase some fresh cake yeast from a bakery sometimes. I wonder about you comment that posting is darn near impossible. I have a thing on my blog that I have to review comments, then allow them to be posted, so if someone tries to post comments that I don’t want, I can just delete those comments before I post them. I haven’t had any problems so far.

    Norma

    ReplyDelete