Welcome...

There are so many variables that go into making a PIZZA. The hydration of the dough, flour, yeast and many more.. Amounts of any kind of yeast in a pizza can make a big difference. Most recipes posted on the web, use too much yeast in their recipes. What I have found out so far, is either bulk fermenting the dough or cold fermenting the dough will give a better flavor in the crust. I am still experimenting to find different flavors in the crust of pies. In my opinion pizza is all about the best flavor you can achieve in a crust. I still am on the journey about flavors in the crust. Even differences in temperatures in you home or times of the year can influence how much yeast to use. If you want a pizza to develop flavors in the crust, there are many ways to go about achieving this.

Pizzas

Pizzas
Preferment for Lehmann Dough Pizzas

Crust of Pizza

Crust of Pizza
Rim of Preferment Lehmann Formula

Adventure in Pizza Making

There are many ways to go about trying to make any kind of pizzas you want to create. PIZZA making is fun and also you get to eat your finished product. I learned to make all my pizza on http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php If you look on pizzamaking.com you can see all the beautiful creations of pizzas members make on this site. Members and moderators help members and guests achieve almost any kind of pizzas they want to create. Since joining this site, my pizza making skills have gone from non-existent to something much better. I invite you to take a look at this site.

Total Pageviews

Sicilian Pizza

Sicilian Pizza
Sicilian Pizza with Preferment for Lehmann Dough

At my mom's home getting ready to bake in her gas oven

At my mom's home getting ready to bake in her gas oven
click on picture to go to post

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Experiment with Detroit style dough left in pans for a few day

I must have forgotten there were two doughs in the steel pans that I forgot at market, that I wanted to bring home to freeze and then defrost to see if that might work out. I had only thought I had one dough in the steel pan that I had forgot.


The two doughs in the steel pans smelled yeasty and looked okay and not overfermented, so I pressed them down again. They were put in my oven with the light on. It was interesting for me to see if there is enough yeast left in the dough to give the height I want. I don’t know how long an emergency dough that was made with 1% IDY, no salt and a higher dough temperature would last without overfermenting.

In my opinion, the two pizzas made with the doughs that were left in the steels pan since Monday (and the dough was made Sunday) turned out tasty when the pizzas were made on a Thursday. It can been seen what dressings I put on both pizzas. I would not have thought the doughs would not have lasted this long if I hadn’t done the experiment. The edges were caramelized and the bottom crust was crispy. There also was a nice blend of flavors from the different dressings and cheese blends. Each bite gave me an explosion of new flavors.

The pizzas had to stay in the oven about 16 minutes. I guess from baking two pizzas at once on the one pizza stone, when usually I only bake one pizza at a time. It was a little hairy trying to turn the two pizzas different times, because my oven isn’t that large and my pizza stone is only 16”, but it worked out okay. The sides edges wanted to brown more where the steel pans were off of the pizza stone so that is why I had to turned the pizzas different times. My oven was heated up for 50 minutes at 500 degrees F and were baked on the bottom rack on the pizza stone.

I have no idea why the crumb on the Frank’s hot sauce chicken, mixed cheeses, coarse grind pepperoni, celery, dhorst’s sauce and then the Ranch dressing put on after the bake didn’t get as airy, but it was very good anyway.

The coarse grind pepperoni, mixed cheeses, spinach and dhorst’s sauce was airier in the crumb.

Dhorst’s sauce tasted great on both pizzas. I thought dhorst’s special sauce gave both pizzas a nice little kick of heat, but not too much.

Norma


                                      

























No comments:

Post a Comment