Welcome...

There are so many variables that go into making a PIZZA. The hydration of the dough, flour, yeast and many more.. Amounts of any kind of yeast in a pizza can make a big difference. Most recipes posted on the web, use too much yeast in their recipes. What I have found out so far, is either bulk fermenting the dough or cold fermenting the dough will give a better flavor in the crust. I am still experimenting to find different flavors in the crust of pies. In my opinion pizza is all about the best flavor you can achieve in a crust. I still am on the journey about flavors in the crust. Even differences in temperatures in you home or times of the year can influence how much yeast to use. If you want a pizza to develop flavors in the crust, there are many ways to go about achieving this.

Pizzas

Pizzas
Preferment for Lehmann Dough Pizzas

Crust of Pizza

Crust of Pizza
Rim of Preferment Lehmann Formula

Adventure in Pizza Making

There are many ways to go about trying to make any kind of pizzas you want to create. PIZZA making is fun and also you get to eat your finished product. I learned to make all my pizza on http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php If you look on pizzamaking.com you can see all the beautiful creations of pizzas members make on this site. Members and moderators help members and guests achieve almost any kind of pizzas they want to create. Since joining this site, my pizza making skills have gone from non-existent to something much better. I invite you to take a look at this site.

Total Pageviews

Sicilian Pizza

Sicilian Pizza
Sicilian Pizza with Preferment for Lehmann Dough

At my mom's home getting ready to bake in her gas oven

At my mom's home getting ready to bake in her gas oven
click on picture to go to post

Friday, November 26, 2010

My Flours I have tried..lol

I have tried many kinds of flours to make pizzas.  These flours pictured on my kitchen table are some of the flours I have tried in pizzas. I do have other flours I have tried in the cupboard.  I even tried to make gluten-free pizza at one time.  I will post the pictures and what I did to make that pizza at a future date. I use KASL flour at market and do prefer unlbleached and unbromated flours.  Bromated flours are banned in some countries and California even needs labeling if you use bromated flours to make any baked goods.  I was sent a special flour from England by my friend Paul.  He is going to open a pizza business in England.  The flour is something special to me, because I have never received anything from England before.  It was even stamped with "Royal Mail".  I am trying to decide how to use that flour to make a special pizza in honor of Paul. The flour is Manitoba flour.  I might purchase some commercial cake yeast.  I talked to my flour distributor today and they do sell commercial cake yeast, but you need to purchase it in 24 1 lb. blocks.  It is only $22.00, but it only lasts 2 weeks.  I think, but don't know that many pizzeria that make special pizzas, do use commercial cake yeast.  I really don't know how commercial cake yeast compares to regular cake yeast I can purchase at the grocery store, but right now thing it must be different. I think Keste's in NY uses commercial cake yeast, but I am not sure.  I sure would like to be able to make a pizza something like Keste's pizza.  I had wanted to bring home water from NY to use with Paul's flour, but the people my daughter knows weren't home, when it was time for us to come home from NY.  I didn't want to lug water jugs around all day, while we were visiting NY.  If I get the chance to visit NY in the next few weeks, I will try to get some NY water.  I really don't think NY water makes a difference in pizza, and have tried NY water in pizza dough, but I want to try NY water again, to see if my results are any different.

I had tried Pillsbury Balancer when I first started making pizza.  Pillsbury Balancer, All Trumps, and Kyrol all do make good pizzas, but they are all bromated, which in my opinion isn't good.  Most independent pizza places in NY do use bromated flours.  Even most pizzerias in my area use bromated flours in their pizza doughs.  Higher end pizzerias use Caputo flour or others flour, but a flour like Caputo needs higher temperatures to bake a decent pizza.  It is because the protein level is lower.  I will post more about flours in future posts, and what kinds I have used in different pizzas.  I am lucky, because I can used KASL in different  experiments, because I can buy flour wholesale from a distributor.  KASL is a high-gluten flour.  So are the ones that are bromated.  I make the choice to buy a flour that is unbleached and unbromated because I wanted to try to make the best pizzas at market with the highest ends ingredients I could afford.

Norma

No comments:

Post a Comment