Welcome...

There are so many variables that go into making a PIZZA. The hydration of the dough, flour, yeast and many more.. Amounts of any kind of yeast in a pizza can make a big difference. Most recipes posted on the web, use too much yeast in their recipes. What I have found out so far, is either bulk fermenting the dough or cold fermenting the dough will give a better flavor in the crust. I am still experimenting to find different flavors in the crust of pies. In my opinion pizza is all about the best flavor you can achieve in a crust. I still am on the journey about flavors in the crust. Even differences in temperatures in you home or times of the year can influence how much yeast to use. If you want a pizza to develop flavors in the crust, there are many ways to go about achieving this.

Pizzas

Pizzas
Preferment for Lehmann Dough Pizzas

Crust of Pizza

Crust of Pizza
Rim of Preferment Lehmann Formula

Adventure in Pizza Making

There are many ways to go about trying to make any kind of pizzas you want to create. PIZZA making is fun and also you get to eat your finished product. I learned to make all my pizza on http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php If you look on pizzamaking.com you can see all the beautiful creations of pizzas members make on this site. Members and moderators help members and guests achieve almost any kind of pizzas they want to create. Since joining this site, my pizza making skills have gone from non-existent to something much better. I invite you to take a look at this site.

Total Pageviews

Sicilian Pizza

Sicilian Pizza
Sicilian Pizza with Preferment for Lehmann Dough

At my mom's home getting ready to bake in her gas oven

At my mom's home getting ready to bake in her gas oven
click on picture to go to post

Friday, November 12, 2010

Pizza Stones

To make a decent NY style pizza or other styles of pizza, except Sicilian, a pizza stone is very helpful in helping to have a final product that is more like a pizzeria.  There are many kinds of pizza stones.  Some people buy Fibrament stones.  They are okay and fairly cheap. Many people use these stones, but many people find these stones do break after awhile.  Cheaper stones can crack very easily.  Some better Fibrament Stones are like these in this link. http://www.bakingstone.com/order.php  Much cheaper Fibrament pizza stones can be found.

Unglazed quarry tiles are very cheap and if you go this route, make sure to measure your oven to make sure you can fit the tiles in the oven.  I never baked on quarry tiles, so I am not sure how they bake, but others recommend quarry tiles for baking a pizza. A good pizza stone to use for baking pizza is Cordierite. They should a least be 3/4"-1" thick.  I started using a Cordierite baking stone when I starting making pizza at home.  They are very good pizza stones.  These can be purchased at the Web Restaurant Store, other places on the web or maybe nearer where you live.  http://www.webstaurantstore.com/   http://www.webstaurantstore.com/search/pizza%20stones.html

You can make your pizzas on a pizza screen like is pictured here, if you don’t want to first purchase a pizza stone, but if you are serious about making pizza, a pizza stone is better. http://www.webstaurantstore.com/fourth941/products/pizza-screens-regular.html Pizza

Pizza screens can also be used to start your pizza until it is set, and then transferred onto a pizza stone to finish baking.  This is the way I started out when making pizza.  I couldn’t get the pizza in the right shape by hand forming it.  I started by trying to open the dough on a screen and then when the pizza was set in the oven, took it off the screen with a metal pizza peel and placed it on the pizza stone. A pizza screen can also be used if you want a larger pizza than your stone is.  You can start the larger pizza on the screen and then transfer it onto the stone to finish baking.



I also make pizzas on firebricks on my propane gas BBQ grill and have tried soapstone.  Soapstone retains the heat for longer periods, but isn’t superior, in my opinion, unless you can get high temperatures in your home oven.  My home oven can only go to about 500-525.

I have found I like the Cordierite baking stone the best for my home oven use.  I have a 16" stone.
A deep-dish pizza pan doesn't need a pizza stone to bake the pizza.  You can use the deep-dish pan for Deep-Dish Sicilian, Deep-Dish Chicago or other pies.

Before I purchased a baking stone I mostly made Sicilian pizzas.  They are also good.

Norma


Picture of deep-dish pan, firebricks on BBQ grill, deep-dish pan, BBQ grill set-up and Cordierite stone







No comments:

Post a Comment