Welcome...

There are so many variables that go into making a PIZZA. The hydration of the dough, flour, yeast and many more.. Amounts of any kind of yeast in a pizza can make a big difference. Most recipes posted on the web, use too much yeast in their recipes. What I have found out so far, is either bulk fermenting the dough or cold fermenting the dough will give a better flavor in the crust. I am still experimenting to find different flavors in the crust of pies. In my opinion pizza is all about the best flavor you can achieve in a crust. I still am on the journey about flavors in the crust. Even differences in temperatures in you home or times of the year can influence how much yeast to use. If you want a pizza to develop flavors in the crust, there are many ways to go about achieving this.

Pizzas

Pizzas
Preferment for Lehmann Dough Pizzas

Crust of Pizza

Crust of Pizza
Rim of Preferment Lehmann Formula

Adventure in Pizza Making

There are many ways to go about trying to make any kind of pizzas you want to create. PIZZA making is fun and also you get to eat your finished product. I learned to make all my pizza on http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php If you look on pizzamaking.com you can see all the beautiful creations of pizzas members make on this site. Members and moderators help members and guests achieve almost any kind of pizzas they want to create. Since joining this site, my pizza making skills have gone from non-existent to something much better. I invite you to take a look at this site.

Total Pageviews

Sicilian Pizza

Sicilian Pizza
Sicilian Pizza with Preferment for Lehmann Dough

At my mom's home getting ready to bake in her gas oven

At my mom's home getting ready to bake in her gas oven
click on picture to go to post

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Generic Chicago Thin Crust 11/17/2011 V&N (clone attempt)

Attempt at market with pictures for a V&N clone pizza, with formula.

I made another dough ball this morning using the 12" formula  set-forth.  I used my Kitchen Aid professional HD to mix the dough.  I also used whole milk in the formula.  The dough was sticky when finished, but I have since reballed the dough two times. It feels drier now, but probably will get sticky, like my last dough did.  I will take another picture or pictures of how this dough looks during today.  I am going to try and use my home oven to make this pizza.  I will wait until I think the dough looks ready, or might even refrigerate it again and wait until tomorrow, all depending on how this dough ferments at ambient room temperatures of 74 degrees F.  I am going to go to market today to pick up my docker, dark perforated pan, and big rolling pin.  I will see how this pizza turns out in my home setting with my oven.

Peter (Pete-zza) set-forth the formula

I have presented below two V&N clone dough formulations as mentioned in the preceding post. In coming up with these formulations, the only option I had with the expanded dough calculating tool at

http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded_calculator.html

was to use the Thickness Factor option. If I knew how much water V&N uses to make its full dough batch with 37.5 pounds of flour, I would have been able to add up all of the numbers and use the Dough Weight option.

For the thickness factor, I elected to use 0.08. I would have preferred to use a larger value, possibly 0.09, but with all of the bench flour that is used to get dough balls to a workable stage without sticking to the peel, I decided to use the smaller thickness factor value with the understanding that the finished dough ball weight might be greater than what the expanded dough calculating tool shows. Because of all the estimating and use of bench flour, I also decided not to use a bowl residue compensation. Hopefully, members using the dough formulations will determine the best dough ball weight for each of the two pizza sizes. If that happens, our lives will be made easier on a going forward basis. The dough formulations are simply to give members something to start with and, if they work, to fine tune them or make them even better.

One of the things that will be noted in the two dough formulations is that there really isn’t a lot of milk at the single dough ball level. When one views the V&N video and sees a half-gallon of milk being poured into the mixer bowl, it seems like a lot. But it really isn’t when you consider that there is also 37.5 pounds of flour in the bowl.

As it turns out, when the water in the milk is taken into account in calculating the total water content, including the formula water, the “effective” total hydration is almost 66%. Of course, that value will drop when the bench flour is added to get the dough to a manageable condition.

V&N Clone Dough Formulation for a 12” Pizza
Ceresota Flour (100%):
Water (55%):
IDY (0.283%):
Salt (1.58%):
Milk (fresh) (11.98%):
Total (168.843%):
151.92 g  |  5.36 oz | 0.33 lbs
83.56 g  |  2.95 oz | 0.18 lbs
0.43 g | 0.02 oz | 0 lbs | 0.14 tsp | 0.05 tbsp
2.4 g | 0.08 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.43 tsp | 0.14 tbsp
18.2 g | 0.64 oz | 0.04 lbs | 3.64 tsp | 1.21 tbsp
256.5 g | 9.05 oz | 0.57 lbs | TF = 0.08
Note: Dough is for a single 12” pizza; thickness factor = 0.08; no bowl residue compensation; the formulation does not reflect the addition of bench flour

V&N Clone Dough Formulation for a 14” Pizza
Ceresota Flour (100%):
Water (55%):
IDY (0.283%):
Salt (1.58%):
Milk (fresh) (11.98%):
Total (168.843%):
206.78 g  |  7.29 oz | 0.46 lbs
113.73 g  |  4.01 oz | 0.25 lbs
0.59 g | 0.02 oz | 0 lbs | 0.19 tsp | 0.06 tbsp
3.27 g | 0.12 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.59 tsp | 0.2 tbsp
24.77 g | 0.87 oz | 0.05 lbs | 4.95 tsp | 1.65 tbsp
349.13 g | 12.32 oz | 0.77 lbs | TF = 0.08
Note: Dough is for a single 14” pizza; thickness factor = 0.08; no bowl residue compensation: the formulation does not reflect the additions of bench flour

Peter

EDIT (11/18/10): Heckers flour, which is the same as the Ceresota flour and from the same company, can be substituted for the Ceresota flour

Steve and I made two pizzas with the formula Peter set-forth.  The only thing I changed was to use whole milk, because that is all I had yesterday, when I made the dough.  I used Ceresota flour in the formula.  This is the one pizza we made..  Steve and I both thought the V&N clone was excellent.  Even my taste testers thought the pizza was good.  I had the one pie sitting on the counter and I guess people thought they were samples, because my test testers were tasting the pizza.  A few people walking by took some pieces.  One man came back later and wanted to purchase more.  We told him the pie was only an experimental pie.

I wish I could taste a real V&N pizza.  Both of the pizzas we made today were crispy and thin.

This is a video of cutting the pizza.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GmWzAKyqlw

I think Peter’s formula was great.

Norma














No comments:

Post a Comment