Welcome...

There are so many variables that go into making a PIZZA. The hydration of the dough, flour, yeast and many more.. Amounts of any kind of yeast in a pizza can make a big difference. Most recipes posted on the web, use too much yeast in their recipes. What I have found out so far, is either bulk fermenting the dough or cold fermenting the dough will give a better flavor in the crust. I am still experimenting to find different flavors in the crust of pies. In my opinion pizza is all about the best flavor you can achieve in a crust. I still am on the journey about flavors in the crust. Even differences in temperatures in you home or times of the year can influence how much yeast to use. If you want a pizza to develop flavors in the crust, there are many ways to go about achieving this.

Pizzas

Pizzas
Preferment for Lehmann Dough Pizzas

Crust of Pizza

Crust of Pizza
Rim of Preferment Lehmann Formula

Adventure in Pizza Making

There are many ways to go about trying to make any kind of pizzas you want to create. PIZZA making is fun and also you get to eat your finished product. I learned to make all my pizza on http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php If you look on pizzamaking.com you can see all the beautiful creations of pizzas members make on this site. Members and moderators help members and guests achieve almost any kind of pizzas they want to create. Since joining this site, my pizza making skills have gone from non-existent to something much better. I invite you to take a look at this site.

Total Pageviews

Sicilian Pizza

Sicilian Pizza
Sicilian Pizza with Preferment for Lehmann Dough

At my mom's home getting ready to bake in her gas oven

At my mom's home getting ready to bake in her gas oven
click on picture to go to post

Monday, January 31, 2011

Pizzarium Attempt January 25, 2011

I used the dough I had made and posted about at Reply 274

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9946.msg124387.html#msg124387


This crumb was light and the crust did taste good.

I baked this in my deck oven at market in my steel deep dish pan at temperatures about 550-565 degrees F, first on two screens and then I took the pan off the screens, because the bottom wasn’t browning enough.  The bake time was about 10-12 minutes.  If you want me to post the other pictures I took, I can either post them under your thread here or at the other thread where I posted the formula and what I did to this dough.

None of my other attempts before turned out like this.  I still am not sure how a real Pizzarium slice is supposed to taste like or look like.

I will try to explain to you and anyone that is interested what I did to try and make the pizza I did.  When looking at the pictures I posted on Reply 275 at

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9946.msg124388.html#msg124388

it can be seen how the dough looked when it was finished being mixed in the first picture.  In the second picture the dough is in a smaller plastic container.  That dough was stretched and folded two times after 45 minute intervals.  In the third picture the dough had already been cold fermented overnight.  I had done a total of 6 stretch and folds the night before and had the dough out at room temperature for 3 ½ hrs., before placing it in the refrigerator.  The next morning, I took the plastic container out of the refrigerator and did more stretch and folds, for a total of 4 more.  That was over a period of 4 more hours.  Then the dough had reached the top of the smaller container.  I then the dough to market and left it in the deli case overnight.  When I arrived at market in the morning, the dough was almost pushing off the lid, so I moved the dough to a larger container.  I left the dough sit out at room temperatures at market, for about 7 hours.  The dough became very gassy as can be seen in Reply 299 at

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9989.msg124534.html#msg124534


That picture was taken about 2 ½ hrs. before baking the pizza.  That is the first picture in that posted.  The second picture is how the bottom of the dough looked right before the bake.  As can be seen in all those pictures the dough did grow by a lot.  I also think that it is critical to be able to tell when the dough is ready and not overproof it.  I wasn’t even sure I didn’t overproof the dough, until I baked it.  I did let the opened skin, proof more in the deep-dish steel pan for another about 1 ½ hrs., covered with linen towels.  Then I lightly coated the skin with herb infused oil.  The skin after proofing did seem dry, before brushing with oil.  The dough didn’t rise much while proofing.

The method I used to mix the dough was the method of mixing flour slowly into the water.  I spent about 40 minutes slowly mixing the flour in and trying to form more gluten.  The salt and oil weren’t added until the end of the mix.  When the dough was finished mixing, it looked very sticky.  After the salt was added in I could see the gluten tighten up.  I mixed on various speeds in my Kitchen Aid Professional HD mixer.  At some times I even tried the highest speed to see what would happen.  That is speed 10, but I didn’t keep the mixer on speed 10 for too long.  I used my hands that were wet with water to do the stretch and folds.  The dough became very robust from doing the stretch and folds.

I don’t know if these explanations can help anyone or not that want to make this kind of pizza.  I don’t even know if I can reproduce the same results the next time, but I probably will try again next week.  There is no way of knowing if I was doing anything right or wrong in what methods I used to mix or what I did after the mix.  I would have thought the dough was overproofed.  I also wonder how I could tell if the dough became overproofed.  I didn’t do any punch downs of the dough after it really began to rise.

I would like to be able to sell this kind of pizza at market, but some way it would have to be tried over and over to see what the results are.  In a home setting without being a professional with this type of pizza, there is too much watching of the dough and then not knowing how the final bake will be.  Maybe this dough could be cold fermented for more days to make this kind of dough easier to make.  If anyone has any ideas about anything I posted, let me know.  My formula was very similar to yours, Jose.  I also used sea salt in the formula.  I used olive oil in the formula, too.

Picture of Caputo flour used for 15% of mix in the flour and yeast I used in the formula.

Norma














No comments:

Post a Comment