Welcome...

There are so many variables that go into making a PIZZA. The hydration of the dough, flour, yeast and many more.. Amounts of any kind of yeast in a pizza can make a big difference. Most recipes posted on the web, use too much yeast in their recipes. What I have found out so far, is either bulk fermenting the dough or cold fermenting the dough will give a better flavor in the crust. I am still experimenting to find different flavors in the crust of pies. In my opinion pizza is all about the best flavor you can achieve in a crust. I still am on the journey about flavors in the crust. Even differences in temperatures in you home or times of the year can influence how much yeast to use. If you want a pizza to develop flavors in the crust, there are many ways to go about achieving this.

Pizzas

Pizzas
Preferment for Lehmann Dough Pizzas

Crust of Pizza

Crust of Pizza
Rim of Preferment Lehmann Formula

Adventure in Pizza Making

There are many ways to go about trying to make any kind of pizzas you want to create. PIZZA making is fun and also you get to eat your finished product. I learned to make all my pizza on http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php If you look on pizzamaking.com you can see all the beautiful creations of pizzas members make on this site. Members and moderators help members and guests achieve almost any kind of pizzas they want to create. Since joining this site, my pizza making skills have gone from non-existent to something much better. I invite you to take a look at this site.

Total Pageviews

Sicilian Pizza

Sicilian Pizza
Sicilian Pizza with Preferment for Lehmann Dough

At my mom's home getting ready to bake in her gas oven

At my mom's home getting ready to bake in her gas oven
click on picture to go to post

Monday, January 16, 2012

Six Lehmann dough pizzas for my great-granddaughter’s 2nd birthday party

I mixed enough dough for 6 Lehmann dough balls for 14” pizzas on Friday. These Lehmann dough balls were for my great-granddaughter’s birthday party yesterday. The dough was mixed in my Kitchen Aid mixer. I thought since children and adults both like pizza, I would make some pizzas at my granddaughter’s home and teach my youngest daughter how to stretch open a dough ball, dress a pizza, and slide it into the oven from a peel. My youngest daughter had lived in Brooklyn, NY for a long while, so she never had a chance to learn to make pizza.
I mixed the Lehmann dough by first putting the water in the mixer bowl, followed by the oil in the water, then dumped the flour with IDY and Morton’s Kosher salt, (sprinkled the Morton‘s Kosher salt on the one side of the flour and IDY on the other side of the flour) and mixed until the mixture came together, and then mixed for 6 minutes on speed 1. Then the dough balls were formed and lightly oiled with olive oil, before putting them into plastic containers.

The Lehmann dough balls had a two day cold ferment. I wanted to see how dough balls would ferment in different size plastic containers, so I used different size containers to place the dough balls in. I was somewhat surprised at how the different dough ball expanded in the different containers. They looked like the dough balls expanded differently, but I can understand that the smaller plastic containers had no where else to go but up in the smaller plastic containers when fermenting.

I never baked in a natural gas home oven before, so I had no idea of how the pizzas would bake. I had forgot my IR gun at market Friday, so I had no way of knowing what temperature the oven or pizza stone were. I guess my granddaughters natural gas home oven gets higher in temperature than my home electric oven because the pizzas did seem to bake faster than my home electric oven. I made the first pizza and let my daughter watch how I stretched the dough ball out, dress the pizza, and slide it onto the stone, then let her try to open the rest of the dough balls, dress the pies, and slide the pizzas onto the stone in the oven. The Lehmann dough even was so easy for my daughter to work with and she had no trouble opening the dough balls. For my daughter being a first time pizza maker she did a great job! The only problem she had was when she went to slide the one pizza off the peel onto the pizza stone. It wasn’t perfectly round, but that sure wasn’t bad for a first time pizza maker.

Everyone at the birthday party really liked the Lehmann dough pizzas. Now my youngest daughter also wants to learn how to make pizza dough.

Norma



























No comments:

Post a Comment