Welcome...

There are so many variables that go into making a PIZZA. The hydration of the dough, flour, yeast and many more.. Amounts of any kind of yeast in a pizza can make a big difference. Most recipes posted on the web, use too much yeast in their recipes. What I have found out so far, is either bulk fermenting the dough or cold fermenting the dough will give a better flavor in the crust. I am still experimenting to find different flavors in the crust of pies. In my opinion pizza is all about the best flavor you can achieve in a crust. I still am on the journey about flavors in the crust. Even differences in temperatures in you home or times of the year can influence how much yeast to use. If you want a pizza to develop flavors in the crust, there are many ways to go about achieving this.

Pizzas

Pizzas
Preferment for Lehmann Dough Pizzas

Crust of Pizza

Crust of Pizza
Rim of Preferment Lehmann Formula

Adventure in Pizza Making

There are many ways to go about trying to make any kind of pizzas you want to create. PIZZA making is fun and also you get to eat your finished product. I learned to make all my pizza on http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php If you look on pizzamaking.com you can see all the beautiful creations of pizzas members make on this site. Members and moderators help members and guests achieve almost any kind of pizzas they want to create. Since joining this site, my pizza making skills have gone from non-existent to something much better. I invite you to take a look at this site.

Total Pageviews

Sicilian Pizza

Sicilian Pizza
Sicilian Pizza with Preferment for Lehmann Dough

At my mom's home getting ready to bake in her gas oven

At my mom's home getting ready to bake in her gas oven
click on picture to go to post

Thursday, December 2, 2010

BBQ grill set-up, another attempt to make pizza June 2010

I tried another pizza in the BBQ grill with firebricks.  I decided to go about letting the firebricks heat up differently.  I also set-up the BBQ grill differently with the firebricks, side bricks, back bricks and no bottom bricks.  I then could just let the top firebricks heat up first, before I would then place the bottom firebricks in, when the temperature of the top firebricks got hot enough.  I only decided to let the top firebricks go so high for this test.  The top firebricks were 536 degrees F and the steel pan under the firebricks temperature was 560 degrees F.  Then I placed the bottom firebricks in with long tongs.  I went inside to get things ready to prepare the pizza.  I thought I should give the firebricks on the bottom one more quick check with the IR thermometer, before opening the dough. Well the BBQ grill ran out of propane.  At least I checked it before opening the dough.  I had to then move the one end of the BBQ grill with all the firebricks in.  It was hard to move it with those firebricks inside.  At least I had another full tank of propane.  Until I fiddled around changing the tank and opening the BBQ grill to light it again, (there were problems lighting it), the top temperature of the firebricks in the steel pan had fallen to 400 degrees F.  Not to be deterred, I was still going to try this set-up, even if I didn’t get decent results or they might be inconclusive.  I then let BBQ grill heat-up for about another 10 minutes.  What I found interesting was the top firebricks had then gone up to 446 degrees F and the bottom was only 350 degrees F.  I waited about another 10 minutes, then I opened the dough ball and dressed the pizza.  After I put the pizza in the BBQ oven set-up, I was gladly surprised that by watching this pizza, the rim was getting brown against the back firebricks. I measured the temperature of the back wall of firebricks and it had a higher temperature than the top and side firebricks.  I saw how nice and brown the pizza got from touching those firebricks.  I rotated the pie different times against the back firebricks and it really seemed to help, to get the rim browned.  I was satisfied with this pie and the way it baked. Some experiments seem to work out better than expected, even with problems.

The dough ball was one I had save since the last time, when I tried to make a pizza in the BBQ oven set-up.  I wanted to see if the dough ball that was frozen for two weeks, would perform well. It weighted 270 grams and the pie was 9".

The pizza was dressed with 6 in 1 sauce (which Steve gave me a small can), Foremost blend of cheeses, first three grape tomatoes I got to pick from my garden (that were then mixed with sauteed garlic in olive oil and some fresh Greek oregano, also picked from the garden) I topped the pie with some dark opal basil and regular basil, both from my garden.

















Norma

No comments:

Post a Comment