Welcome...

There are so many variables that go into making a PIZZA. The hydration of the dough, flour, yeast and many more.. Amounts of any kind of yeast in a pizza can make a big difference. Most recipes posted on the web, use too much yeast in their recipes. What I have found out so far, is either bulk fermenting the dough or cold fermenting the dough will give a better flavor in the crust. I am still experimenting to find different flavors in the crust of pies. In my opinion pizza is all about the best flavor you can achieve in a crust. I still am on the journey about flavors in the crust. Even differences in temperatures in you home or times of the year can influence how much yeast to use. If you want a pizza to develop flavors in the crust, there are many ways to go about achieving this.

Pizzas

Pizzas
Preferment for Lehmann Dough Pizzas

Crust of Pizza

Crust of Pizza
Rim of Preferment Lehmann Formula

Adventure in Pizza Making

There are many ways to go about trying to make any kind of pizzas you want to create. PIZZA making is fun and also you get to eat your finished product. I learned to make all my pizza on http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php If you look on pizzamaking.com you can see all the beautiful creations of pizzas members make on this site. Members and moderators help members and guests achieve almost any kind of pizzas they want to create. Since joining this site, my pizza making skills have gone from non-existent to something much better. I invite you to take a look at this site.

Total Pageviews

Sicilian Pizza

Sicilian Pizza
Sicilian Pizza with Preferment for Lehmann Dough

At my mom's home getting ready to bake in her gas oven

At my mom's home getting ready to bake in her gas oven
click on picture to go to post

Monday, November 29, 2010

Low-Yeast, Low-Temperature Lehmann dough with Kamut and KASL

I used the Lehmann formula at the bottom of this post, in combination with some Kamut home ground grains and KASL flour to create this pizza.

First I wanted to see if I could successfully grind some Kamut grains without any kind of commercial grinder.  Secondly I wanted to see what the affects the Lehmann formula with lower amounts of yeast would have on the dough, with the combination of flours.   Thirdly I wanted to use a fairly high hydration, because I had no idea of how this Kamut home ground flour would affect the dough.  Fourth I wanted to try and get a lower finished final dough temperature.  My finished dough temperature was 77.6.  I would have liked it to be lower.

The grinders I try to use were the ones in the picture below.  My arms were tired after I had hand ground the flour.  The hand grinding by a crank on my grinders is harder than I thought they would be, because I never tried to grind grains by hand.

The weigh of the home ground Kamut flour was 80 grams.  I then added 263 grams of KASL flour to this formula.  This dough was made on Saturday and then left to cold ferment until yesterday, when it was baked at market.  This dough did slowly ferment.

The thing that interested me most about trying to home grind my own flour for this pizza was I didn’t get the flour ground up enough.  There still were some partially ground grains in the dough.  I then wondered what would happen when a pizza was baked with this dough.  I kept watching the dough and the partially ground grains didn’t dissolve.  Steve opened this dough yesterday and he and I could feel the grains though out the dough.  We both then wondered if the pizza would have a crunch like a granola bar from the partially ground grains.  Much to both of our surprise, the finished pizza came out well and no grains could be detected in the crust.  Somehow they must have gotten baked, while the pizza was in the oven.


The taste of the crust and rim of this pizza was much different than a regular KASL Lehmann dough.  The crust and rim had a somewhat nutty and different taste.  I really did like this different pizza.

I did try this experiment again, using the same formula, with higher amounts of  Prairie Gold (86) grain ground.

Pictures of dough, opened skin, dressed pizza, crumb and finished pizza below.

Formula that is also on pizzamaking.com  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php under Lehmann doughs.


16-inch Low-Yeast, Low-Temperature, Lehmann NY Style Dough Recipe
100%, High-gluten flour (King Arthur Sir Lancelot), 12.12 oz. (343.55 g.), (2 3/4 c. + 2 t., level measurements)
63%, Water, 7.63 oz. (216.43 g.), (between 7/8 and 1 t.)
1%, Oil, 0.12 oz. (3.44 g.), (3/4 t.)
1.75%, Salt, 0.21 oz. (6.01 g.), (a bit over 1 t.)
0.17%, IDY (instant dry yeast), 0.02 oz. (0.58 g.), (1/5 t.)
Thickness factor (TF) = 0.10
Finished dough weight = 20.11 oz. (570.01 g.)
Finished dough temperature = 75 degrees F.

Norma



















No comments:

Post a Comment