Welcome...

There are so many variables that go into making a PIZZA. The hydration of the dough, flour, yeast and many more.. Amounts of any kind of yeast in a pizza can make a big difference. Most recipes posted on the web, use too much yeast in their recipes. What I have found out so far, is either bulk fermenting the dough or cold fermenting the dough will give a better flavor in the crust. I am still experimenting to find different flavors in the crust of pies. In my opinion pizza is all about the best flavor you can achieve in a crust. I still am on the journey about flavors in the crust. Even differences in temperatures in you home or times of the year can influence how much yeast to use. If you want a pizza to develop flavors in the crust, there are many ways to go about achieving this.

Pizzas

Pizzas
Preferment for Lehmann Dough Pizzas

Crust of Pizza

Crust of Pizza
Rim of Preferment Lehmann Formula

Adventure in Pizza Making

There are many ways to go about trying to make any kind of pizzas you want to create. PIZZA making is fun and also you get to eat your finished product. I learned to make all my pizza on http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php If you look on pizzamaking.com you can see all the beautiful creations of pizzas members make on this site. Members and moderators help members and guests achieve almost any kind of pizzas they want to create. Since joining this site, my pizza making skills have gone from non-existent to something much better. I invite you to take a look at this site.

Total Pageviews

Sicilian Pizza

Sicilian Pizza
Sicilian Pizza with Preferment for Lehmann Dough

At my mom's home getting ready to bake in her gas oven

At my mom's home getting ready to bake in her gas oven
click on picture to go to post

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Pizza Fusion's Earth Day Pizza Contest, I Entered..lol

Pizza Fusion's Earth Day Pizza Contest, I Entered...What a different experience in my pizza making adventure..lol

I was crazy enough to enter a pizza contest.  In the spirit of Earth Day’s 40th Anniversary, Pizza Fusion launched a nationwide search for the greenest, most eco-friendly pizza recipe in the country with the Pizza Fusion Earth Day Video Contest.

I really wasn’t going to enter this contest, but at the last minute, (the day before the contest ended), I decided to enter the Pizza Fusion’s Earth Day Contest. I saw they changed the deadline for submitting the video to April 30th. I talked to the market manager, the day before the contest was supposed to end and he said it would be great to have me make a pizza and enter it into this contest.  I decided to call this pizza, “Root’s Market Day Pizza”.

It was tough doing this video because I really didn’t want to show my face, but in guidelines  rules for making the video, it said you had to introduce yourself as Chef and then your name.  Since I couldn’t see the video until I got home I was nervous.  The video didn’t turn out like I wanted it to, but I am still submitted the video. My mother took the video. I had myself so nervous about making this video this morning that I thought I couldn’t go though with it, but I did.

The pizza did turn out great. The market manager wanted the pizza, so I didn’t get to taste it, but when I talked to him, at the end of the evening, he said he really liked the pizza.  I used all fresh ingredients from Root’s Market.

The dough formula is was my regular poolish preferment for the Lehmann dough.  I made a 14" pizza and just left the crust thicker.  The crust then was more airy than usual.  When I talked to the market manager,  he said when he looked at the pizza he thought there was spinach and squash on the pizza and he didn't like those vegetables.  He also asked what the sauce was.  He then said he wanted to taste the pizza because it was called "Root's Market Day Pizza" and their 85th anniversary is coming up next week.  After he had a tasted the pizza, he said the pizza was delicious and he had two slices.

The dressings were first a dressing of fresh herb infused oil to coat the crust, Les’s grape tomato sauce, green and red peppers, yellow squash and grape tomatoes dredged in the fresh herb infused oil, spring onions, spinach and mozzarella.  I was going to put olives on the pizza, but just wanted to use vegetables from the market.

I uploaded the video on You Tube and put all the tags on the contest rules say and followed the rules, but when I went to Pizza Fusion’s “Earth Saving Pizza” Submission” it kept saying I had an invalid email address and it wouldn’t let me submit my entry.

http://earthdaycontest.com/chef-norma-roots-market-day-pizza  

The way I understand it from the submission guidelines and Pizza Fusions Facebook, is it was supposed to be over, but it wasn’t over when it said on the guidelines.  The whole contest is kind of interesting. They are supposed to pick the top five videos viewed that followed the submission guidelines.  I decided to go into this contest, only about four days before the deadline because there weren't that many submissions and also some of the people weren't following the submission guidelines. Pizza Fusion had also extended the deadline to April 30th. If anyone were to print these submission guidelines out, you could see what they are. Even after I uploaded the video with the proper tags and went to the submission page of Pizza Fusion, I couldn't get my video submitted.  The next morning I got an email from the president of Pizza Fusion saying he saw my submission on Youtube and he submitted it.  If you look under my video you can see who submitted my video.










Next after the top five videos viewed are picked, it was supposed to go to the judges to make the final decisions.  This is called the Judging phase. The results of the contest were supposed to be announced on a Monday.

Since I like to experiment and investigate, it was interesting to see what happened.

I would have liked to tasted the pizza, but since the market manger wanted the pie named after the market, it went to him.  I only had enough of the grape tomato sauce for one pie.

I really didn’t like the idea of having to introduce myself as Chef.  If you look at some of the other entries, they also were added by the founder of Pizza Fusion.  I don’t know why some entrants couldn’t submit their own videos.

You can't really tell by looking at their website and videos which five have the most votes.  Pizza Fusion changed their submission guide lines and here are the winners of the “First Eva Earth Day Video Contest“ -  1 st place- Jennifer Suzuki with her “Veggie Organic Mexican Taco Pizza” and 2nd place-Chef Tish Vanstone with her “Sublime Lime Chicken Divine Pizza”

http://ht.ly/1HpHm 

http://blog.pizzafusion.com/# 

It was interesting being in a Pizza Contest, even if I didn’t prepare enough in advance to be in the contest.  If I had thought this contest over better, I don’t think I would have won, but at least I could have made a more organic crust.

Norma

No comments:

Post a Comment